http://www.blogger.com/html?blogID=290735914575399479

May 03, 2010

I wanna play!

Is it me or is golf one of those male mysteries in life? I decided to find out and you know what? It's not that mysterious after all.

"GOLF" originated as an acronym which stands for: Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden. To which I say, "oh yeah? I'll show you!"

As a meeting planner I have planned more than my share of golf tournaments. I was always the girl running around with the clipboard stressing about someone's rental clubs not making it on their cart. I would be up before the sun to make sure everything was situated before my gaggle of hungover golfers showed up, red eyed and still smelling of alcohol. I couldn't help but wonder: what is it about chasing a little white ball around all day that could summon these people from the deepest realms of drunken sleep? Who knew, I would eventually be one of them!?

Something about the parade of golf carts heading out for a shotgun start has always put a smile on my face. I often wished that I could become part of this seemingly exclusive group and be out in the sunshine with them... and now I am!

My bf is an amazing golfer and also the most patient man on the planet. About a year into our relationship I finally agreed to get over my insecurity and let him begin the sometimes painful process of teaching me the ways of the golf course. My biggest worry of course, was that I would look like an idiot and embarrass myself (and him) in front of everyone at the range, who I imagined were all on the PGA Tour.

The best thing about my personal golf pro was that he started me off very slowly at the range, so that I could build some confidence. My 9 iron was my new best friend and I started with a nice and easy half swing. The ball didn't go very far but I got used to the very unnatural feeling of the golf swing. Slowly but surely I became more confident and began working on my full swing and every once in a while I hit a decent shot!

So began the love affair between me and the smell of freshly cut grass.

No comments:

Post a Comment