http://www.blogger.com/html?blogID=290735914575399479

July 01, 2010

Fire in the hole

There is nothing more sad than having to be out of town on business on two of the best golf weather weekends in the recent past. Sigh... that was me two weekends in a row. However, I got back into town and was chomping at the bit to get out there and smack Gertie around. Although I love my home course, it's itty... 9 holes, par 3's, I would like to at least once a month get out there and play 18. Even better, to try out a new course. In theory I love that idea, however there is something to be said for being familiar with a course. For example, I know what clubs to hit on every hole at my itty course, no matter where the markers are placed or how the wind is blowing. However, there is a bit of horror, mixed with terror, topped off with a bit of a thrill and excitement when you tee off from a hole you've never played.

This was the case 2 weekends ago, when my sweetie and I headed to Sharp Park Golf Course in Pacifica. I can't believe I had forgotten about this course... let's just say that as a teenager I had been there many times. Funny how I had no clue what it looked like in the daylight.., but that's a whole other blog. Eh ehmm.. I digress. Now then, we tried to get a T-time but they were booked and suggested we just show up and they would get us out when they could. We showed up, probably about 10:00 (oh did I mention that this was US Open weekend and uh yeah.. I'm still totally bitter that I wasn't at Pebble.. hmph!)... so we get to the course and they got us right on! Yay! I was so excited! They added a totally nice guy to play with us and we were ready to go! So, we teed off and my drive was EXCEPTIONAL! woohoo!! Of course I used my 3 guy because I am so over my driver (dammit I wish Christmas was closer)... Anyway, I felt totally fab and my sweetie was beaming like a proud papa. So I grab my clubs, throw them on my back (no, no we didn't have a cart.. omg).. and went to find Gertie. There she was, minding her own business right in the middle of the fairway! Good girl Gertie!!! woo hoo! So, I pulled out my prized 24 degree hybrid and took a swing... I smacked her just right yet again and off she went for a nice ride. My sweetie suggested we just call it a day and head to the bar! Well uhh.. we totally should have.

I had some good shots throughout the day, primarily on the front nine, but by the time we made the turn.. yeah.. I was tired. The thing is... since my driver sucks I usually tee off with my 3 guy, which means with a totally killer shot, downhill, with the wind behind me, the farthest I'm hitting is like 150. That's all fine and dandy on a par 3, but anything bigger and I've got a few swings before I get to the green. Add to that the fact that we don't do the cart thing... it's all lugging, all 18. Whew. Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining at all! If the boys can do it, then we, the biggirlgolfers will do it! However... that doesn't mean we'll do it well :). My swing was some kinda tired...

We get to the 15th hole and I'm like "OMG, what is this?!?!".. initially I was happy because it was a par 3... well sure, that's fab and all but uhhhh... you cannot see the green from the tee box because there is a ginormous (yes, that is the official term) patch of reeds and fluffy shrubby things that are taller than I am... Gulp. So, it's all about a wish and a prayer because I have no clue where I'm aiming. The minute I realize this is the situation I start to freak out (internally of course) worrying that if I top the ball I'm totally screwed. So, I spend a bit of time freaking out, address the ball and yep... there goes Gertie, right into the reeds. Really? Really did I just do that?!?! Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!! So... whilst I belt out a rousing rendition of Taps for poor Gertie who took one for the team, my caddy (my sweetie), grabs Gertie #2 from my bag. I was hitting my hybrid from the tee and honestly, if there is a club that can summon a great shot outta me, it's that one... so I took a deep breath, reminded myself to "try easy" and let 'er rip. Thankfully this time, Gertie got some air and cleared the crazy rough... but I was totally irritated.

In all honesty I did have fun. I mean, I don't expect greatness but do have to constantly remind myself that I'm just not good enough to get all pissy about a bad shot. Golf is a game of misses, it's just a matter of how bad the miss is. It's just like sales... a game of numbers really. The more shots you take, the more chance you have of scoring a good one. So, I better just keep shootin'!

Ready... Aim... Fire

No comments:

Post a Comment