http://www.blogger.com/html?blogID=290735914575399479

July 13, 2010

The Line-up

The Golf Channel has become a regular part of my television experience. They offer tournament coverage, tips and tricks, and everything in between. Although I'm not a fan of the television being on as a source of white noise, there is nothing quite like the hushed sounds of a tournament to help me relax.

Of course watching tournaments is great; however there are a few shows that really do it for me. Number one on my list is "The Golf Fix". Michael Breed is my hero, with his high energy and tips and drills to help us with everything from swing flaws to overcoming mental barriers. I totally love this guy. Last night, using his trusty simulator he demonstrated how to successfully get out (in one) of the crazy bunkers at St. Andrews. Although I have no immediate plans to disgrace the Royal and Ancient Golf Club with my divots, that is some really helpful info! The technique Breed used in the simulation is something I am certain to put to good use in the near future (I really need to work on my bunker shots). But that's just the beginning. The Golf Fix takes videos sent in from viewers, analyzes their swings, and then provides corrections. Here's what I totally love about that: almost every flaw I have watched Michael offer corrections to, somehow helps me with my game. And his little drills using floaties and clothes hangers? Funny, yes. Effective? TOTALLY! (and always inexpensive). I give TGF and especially my boy Michael Breed an Eagle.

There is another show about which I was kind of on the fence; however I am starting to get into it: "Golf Fitness Academy". When I began the process of learning this game, I remember searching for exercises that would help me strengthen whatever should be strengthened. I had a really difficult time finding anything. Of course, some of this is obvious, like ya know, work on upper body strength, but I still felt like I was missing something. I think I can speak for the majority of casual/amateur golfers when I say that we are ready and willing to do pretty much anything that will help our game. Although GFA has been worked into my regularly scheduled programming I can't say yet that I love it or find it quite as helpful as The Golf Fix, so I give that one a Par.

Now, enter the "Haney Project". What can I say? I want to be his next problem child. I love the show (although the Charles Barkley season was downright painful, ya know?). Haney is to golf what Jillian Michaels is to weight loss: Bad. Ass. Granted I can't imagine hitting 1,000 balls a day, as it is, if I hit 100,  2 days in a row my shoulders and forearms get pretty sore, however, I guess that's how to get results. I give Haney a Birdie.

Now... the show that brings tears to my eyes: "The Story of Golf". Even saying that made me feel like I should whisper. This is a five part documentary which tells the story of this crazy game throughout the ages. Part one discusses the origins of golf and is presented in such a masterful way that I find that I almost hold my breath while watching. Stories about Bobby Jones and the 2 Morris' (sob, sob) as well as the evolution of the golf ball and clubs leave me with a sense of awe. This "game", steeped in history and rich in tradition is depicted in a way that makes me proud to carry a golf bag. Who knew that the holes were originally rabbit holes? I mean seriously? I love that kind of info!!! After watching that I felt mildly embarrassed that the Robert Trent Jones' of the world have spoiled us with gorgeous courses and perfectly planned holes. I could watch this every single day (I have got to remember to order the DVD’s!). It inspires me and makes me feel privileged to be a part of the club. This show is hands down the most beautiful depiction of the story of golf and I give it an Ace.

The Golf Channel: it does a golfer good.

3 comments:

  1. I certainly would like to catch that little documentary on the history of golf. Thought all this while they have not agreed on the actual origin of golf. Some said its originated from china. Well, doesn't really matter - its the current worldwide love for the game that matters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog! Enjoyed it. Here's mine if you get a chance to check it out, great! I am just starting out. http://lifebetweenthegreens.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The Story of Golf" is absolutely awesome! Totally worth buying actually.. and yes, many believe golf originated in China, but everyone agrees it's been around since the beginning of time.

    Thanks Stephanie, I'll check it out!

    ReplyDelete