http://www.blogger.com/html?blogID=290735914575399479

July 09, 2010

What a rush

I think I am still suffering with a "golf hangover" from last weekend... I'm not complaining though, it was totally fab! It all started on Friday afternoon... I had been stuck on jury duty and we were released early that day, for whatever reason. Since I had been in court all week and didn't know we'd get out early on Friday, it was kind of like a free day, which is a rarity in my world. My sweetie called and said he was on his way down and asked if I would call for a T time because he was jonesin' to hit his big dog. Wow... 18 on a Friday afternoon?!?! What a treat! I got the T time at Sunnyvale Golf Course, which was new for me and I was pretty excited.

We arrived at the course and were paired with another couple, and after a few minutes we were off and running. The course is really beautiful and it was a perfect, warm summer afternoon. Of course we did not take a cart so the luggin' commenced. I don't know what was up, perhaps it was my compressed spine and the tired factor from being stuck in a jury box all week but I played like hell. However, I made a decision early in the round, that no matter how I played I was NOT going to get upset. The course was so darned beautiful, and I was enjoying this perfect day with my sweetie, so seriously, who cares?!?! (OK, well I totally do, but 4 hours is a long time to beat yourself up). The round was long and fairly exhausting, but I had a great time. Then... it came to me: we were walking from the 17th green to the 18th T box... as we came around the corner I could see the green... and I was transfixed. The sun was low in the sky and cast this breathtaking, golden, glow on the fairway and the green off in the distance. All was quiet except for the birds chirping in the distance, and various other sounds of nature. I was undone. The scene completely enchanted me. The sweet scent of the grass cooling after the warm day, the quiet that surrounded me... this is exactly what drew me to golf in the first place. I realized that being pissy about a bad shot, or a 12 putt (kidding), serves only one purpose: to totally ruin a perfectly lovely day. I've decided that I'm just not going there.

We finished the round and headed home... I was utterly exhausted. I mean like my hair hurt... the good news is, that although I was initially thinking that as a big girl golfer I shouldn't be so tired, I took one look into the driver's seat and saw that my sweetie was feeling exactly the same way. Whew! Of course we decided to suit up the next day and do it again! Woohoo! We didn't play 18 (thank gawd), but instead went to my itty course and started with a session of chipping practice. I really needed that, and when I heard (and felt) that clean connection of a good chip, I felt great! We headed to the first T and it was game on!

Before I tee'd off, my sweetie suggested a minor swing correction. I took a few practice swings but when I hit the ball I was too much in my head thinking about the correction so the shot was totally lame and I had to take a mully... I mean for gawds sake it was the first hole and that is NOT way to begin a round. So... treasured hybrid in hand, I took a breath and looked down at Gertie (I swear sometimes she winks at me) anyway... I was lined up perfectly, took the club back and let 'er rip... My sweetie and I play Tiger's Wii Golf game and when you make a perfect swing it makes this noise, kind of like a gun shot in a way, and the screen goes into slo-mo. OMG... that was this swing! I had perfect rhythm, perfect form, and absolutely perfect connection with that ball. I've never felt anything quite like that... it was like, when you watch the lotto numbers being drawn and as each ball drops into the slot, it has your number on it. It was literally a perfect golf swing. As I finished my swing and held my finish for what seemed like days, I wasn't even really watching my ball because the weird, but amazing, rush of endorphins had completely overtaken me.  It was the best shot I have ever hit and the swing... it was flawless! Who knew? My sweetie was speechless, and I was frozen but watching Gertie land on the green, exactly where I intended for her to land was... it was... ummm, I don't think that even Roget's can help me find the adjective to adequately describe it but it was freaking awesome! Oh and... to quote my sweetie: "it was DAS".. Dead. Ass. Straight. Booyah!

Here is what I learned from last weekend:
1. Stop and smell the sand trap every now and again, because that is what is really important.
2. Anything is possible... even a perfect golf swing on occasion.
3. Golf courses are beautiful and tranquil for a reason, remember that.

The world is, the world is. Love and Life are deep...

No comments:

Post a Comment